Friday 18 February 2011

Half term, County Durham

Now half-term’s here, I bet you’re already scratching your head wondering how to fill in the days! Why not call into Chesters Grove Garden Centre, on the A167 near Chester le Street and pick up a few packets of seeds to grow with the children. It’s easy and simple and a great way of adding new plants to your garden. A fun and rewarding activity which your children will enjoy. By sowing indoors, you’ll also be giving them a good start especially for bedding plants.

Another fun way to get the children involved is to try growing a seed such as a pea or a broad bean in a clear glass jar. Soak the dried seed, roll a piece of absorbent paper (such as kitchen paper) and place in the jar. Slide the seed between the glass and the paper so the seeds growth can be observed, remember to put enough water in the jar so that it reaches the paper. Now watch with your child over the week and see new life emerge while at the same time the seed begins to die. It’s a great way of bringing the spring into your home, and your children will enjoy the science showing how plants emerge from the smallest of seeds. Happy half-term.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Tony, The only vegetable [if you can call it that] I have ever grown is Mustard and Cress on a windowsill!! It is a very good idea I think to get children started with gardening through seed sowing and it is certainly a hobby that has stayed with me all of my life.

    Thank you so much for becoming a Follower of my weblog and for leaving a comment to which I have made reply. I look forward to staying in touch with what is happening at your most interesting Garden Centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow you. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

    God bless you :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Edith, it's great to be following you too! We like to start them early, herbs are a great way to get children interested especially cress!
    ATB Tony

    ReplyDelete